Timing is everything. Yesterday I took the seat slides and foot-stretcher tracks that I had removed from my old double and set them into the new boat, along with the rigger from My Escape. I wanted to use the visual props to double check all the rigging locations before I proceeded with building the splash board forms. Damn. The seat deck is too far back, and not just a little....six whole inches. That is to say, I built what I had drawn, but the drawing had a design flaw. When she's rigged it would be impossible to get my hips in line with the pins in the catch position, which is more compressed than I'm used to at the catch, but is recommended for high performance.
I sat down with the drawing... again. The position of the pins is critical. Everything relates to that. That nice mold that I built....I took a knife to it.
I pieced the mold back together with duct tape to mock up the correct positions and sat back to analyze whether I'd got it right. If only I had done that exercise when I had the plug formed before I laid the cloth up. Ouch. Lesson learned the hard way.
Today's job: rework the plug and recheck the rigging again. On the bright side, I think I've come up with a way to make the hard corner transitions in the mold surface better than before. Simple idea.... I guess that's the benefit of doing it twice.